Sunday
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
lattice chicken pot pie
Mexican street corn pasta
chicken Ghiveci
creamy chicken tortilla soup, jalapeno jack popovers
butter basted ribeyes, twice baked potatoes, broccoli
brisket tacos, pinto beans
pork souvlaki, naan

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Pancit Bihon

pancit bihonOne of the main things I miss from my former days as a civil engineer is our office breakfast club. We had many nationalities represented and my most favorite breakfast dishes came for my friend who is from the Phillipines. They were always savory, usually involved noodles of some sort and on the best days, they included shrimp. I am not huge on American breakfast foods, I can take it or leave it. And don't get me started about the people who have breakfast for dinner, the idea is horrifying to me. I re-pinned this recipe from Rasa Malaysia (I love Malay breakfast foods as well) and was intrigued because it sounded similar to my favorite morning foods.  We leave for Singapore and Bali tomorrow morning and I am already excited about breakfast.  The shredded carrots melted into the sauce and made the most amazing sweet and salty flavor.  And don't worry, I made this for lunch for F and I.  Then I baked a chocolate cake afterwards so that C wouldn't complain about the fish sauce smell.
Pancit Bihon

1 tablespoon canola oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ pound shrimp, shelled and deveined
1 small green cabbage, shredded in ½ inch pieces
2-3 medium carrots, either shredded or chopped thinly crosswise
4 cups chicken broth
8 ounces “Excellent” brand rice sticks
2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
1 tablespoon fish sauce
Freshly ground black pepper

Heat a large wok to medium-high heat. Add canola oil. Stir fry the garlic and onions until the onions turn clear. Be careful not to burn the garlic. Add the shrimp. Once the shrimp turns pink, add cabbage and carrots. Lightly stir fry 2-3 minutes. Pour the mixture onto a bowl and set aside.

Pour the chicken stock into the heated wok. Once it starts boiling, turn the heat down to medium. Add rice sticks, soy sauce, and fish sauce. Boil for another 5 minutes or so until there is approximately ¼ cup stock left. Add the shrimp mixture back into the wok. Lightly stir fry until all the liquid has evaporated. Add freshly ground pepper to taste.
Pin It Now!

3 comments:

Laura said...

Can't wait to hear all about your trip! Safe travels my dear. BTW, this dish looks great. Always looking for something new to try with skrimps! ;P

katie said...

The trip has been amazing so far...we actually flew out last Saturday. The food has topped my expectations!

Rose said...

This recipe looks so good! All I need is to figure out where to get the rice sticks and I am making this dish. Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...