Sunday
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
lattice chicken pot pie
Mexican street corn pasta
chicken Ghiveci
creamy chicken tortilla soup, jalapeno jack popovers
butter basted ribeyes, twice baked potatoes, broccoli
brisket tacos, pinto beans
pork souvlaki, naan

Monday, October 3, 2011

Brioche Buns

brioche bunsThe most important part of a sandwich for me is the bread. I know this goes against most sandwich lovers, but it is how I feel. I have tried hamburger rolls, Kaiser rolls, honey wheat rolls and I have finally found the winner.  These rolls were amazing.  The perfect roll for any sandwich.  They had just the right hint of sweetness.  These remind me of the buns at Dutchs across the street from TCU.  Friends of ours who went to TCU took us there after a visit to the Fort Worth Zoo.  Both C and I left commenting on how amazing the buns were.  And now I can make them at home thanks to The Jey of Cooking.  No need to drive up north.  I made the recipe for the bread machine because I am lazy.
Brioche Buns

2/3 cup warm milk (~110 degrees F)
1/3 cup warm water
4 tablespoons honey
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, sliced and softened
2 eggs, at room temperature
3 ¼ cups bread flour
2 ¼ teaspoons (1 Packet) Instant Yeast
1 ½ teaspoons salt
1 egg yolk
Sesame seeds

Whisk together the milk, water, honey, butter and eggs. Pour into your bread machine. Spoon the flour over top and sprinkle it with the yeast and salt.  Run your machine on the dough cycle.

Remove the dough from the machine and place on a floured surface. Flour your hands, divide the dough into 8 equal pieces and form into balls. Place 2 to 3 inches apart on a Silpat lined baking sheet. Flatten each ball just a bit with the palm of your hand. Allow to rise again another hour.

Preheat oven to 400. Once risen, brush the tops with the egg yolk and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake for 10-15 minutes, turning the pan once halfway through, until buns are golden. Transfer to a rack and cool completely.
Pin It Now!

10 comments:

Shawnda said...

I also think that bread is the best part of a sandwich. Looking forward to trying these out!

Jey said...

Yay, so glad you loved them! I made a double batch the other day and froze the leftovers so I'd have some for our next few burger nights.

Unknown said...

brioche is never a bad idea... unless you're anorexic. i made some a while ago and chucked some roasted duck on there for mini-brioche sliders. Was divine!

Jessica @Sunny Side Up said...

I have been telling myself for over 3 years that I am going to make my own buns. These look like a huge winner!! I wonder how these would freeze...

Hezzi-D said...

I don't know that I've ever had brioche, but I'm another girl who loves the bread best in my sandwiches! I can't wait to try making these, hopefully I'll find time this weekend.

Laura said...

These are gorgeous! Bread is definitely key to me as well. Bookmarked these to try, thanks!

Unknown said...

Procedures do not indicate when salt is added.

katie said...

It has been corrected, thanks!

boots61 said...

Just discovered Brioche Hamburger Buns at the farmer's market a couple of weeks ago. They weren't ready when I was out there yesterday so thought I would search for a recipe. My breadmaker has been getting a constant workout for the past year as I try to cut down on preservatives and additives thanks to an allergy to sulfites. So glad I found your recipe. It worked out perfectly and they were a big hit at dinner tonight. Thanks for posting the recipe.

Unknown said...

I made this for our Labor Day BBQ last Monday and they came out perfect! The dough was so sticky I could barely work with it and a lot of flour got added from my hands. Didn't seem to matter. The buns came out awesome. Next time I will probably refridgerate the dough Like so many of the other blogs tell you to do. I used a whole egg wash instead of just the yoke and the tops came out so beautifully browned. I also baked them to an internal temperature of 190°F which is perfect for these buns. Got that advice from Fleishmans blog. Recipe was forgiving, however, because my oven went off halfway through the second batch and I was still able to recover them even though I overshot the mark and they went to 205°F. I can't really tell the difference now between which buns cooked at 190 in which cooked to 205 so I guess didn't really matter.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...