Sunday
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
lattice chicken pot pie
Mexican street corn pasta
chicken Ghiveci
creamy chicken tortilla soup, jalapeno jack popovers
butter basted ribeyes, twice baked potatoes, broccoli
brisket tacos, pinto beans
pork souvlaki, naan

Monday, April 18, 2011

Mee Hoon Goreng

Mee Hoon GorengC and I had an amazing honeymoon in Malaysia. One of my most favorite dishes was Mee Hoon Goreng. I think I ate it for lunch almost every day. Of course, I was eating it at the Four Seasons Langkawi, so I am pretty sure it was not totally authentic, but it was delicious nonetheless. In the picture, I used vermicelli made from green beans. While good, the rice stick vermicelli (which I had in the cabinet, but didn't use) works much better and holds up better to the stir frying. This dish is very similar to Jap Chae, which I love. I came up with this on my own trying to remember the flavors that I loved so much six years ago. Anyone know a good Malay restaurant in Houston?
Mee Hoon Goreng

8 ounces rice stick vermicelli

2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
2 teaspoons chili garlic paste (add more if you like more of a kick)
½ cup chicken broth

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks
½ cup sliced cabbage
½ cup bean sprouts
¼ cup green onions, chopped
1 boneless skinless chicken breast, sliced thin
¼ pound shrimp, peeled and de-veined
1 teaspoon minced ginger
1 teaspoon minced garlic

In a large bowl, pour hot water over the vermicelli, just enough to cover. Set aside. In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, oyster sauce, chili garlic paste and chicken broth.

In a wok or large skillet, heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the carrots, cabbage, bean sprouts and onions. Stir fry for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the chicken and stir fry three minutes more. Add the shrimp and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes, just until pink. Add the garlic and ginger, sautéing for 30 seconds, just until fragrant. Pour the chicken broth mixture over chicken, shrimp and vegetables. Cook for 2 minutes. Add the drained vermicelli noodles and toss to combine. Serve hot.
Pin It Now!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good job!! Looks delicious....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...